Friday, July 3, 2009

Eyes on the Prize

Ella is going to be 3 in less than 2 months and she is still not potty trained. Please don't judge me, I am ready and wanting her to do it but I can't make her. I think she won't do it because she is stubborn and she knows I want her to. I think another reason she hasn't and won't is because she is a bit on the lazy side. We talk about it all the time and I have told many times that if she learns to go on the potty that she can pick out a polly pocket. She loves polly pockets. She even talks about how she will get a polly pocket when she learns but after we talk about it and then I ask her if she wants to start trying again, she says no and it is a definite no. So I thought she needed a little motivation. I bought a pack of four princess that are similar to polly pockets, they have clothes and accessories. We gave her one after Tanner was born but I have been saving the other three. I decided to put one up on the wall above the toilet to help motivate my child. Boy it did, she wanted to sit on the toilet immediately and put her underwear on but then it went away after she realized that she had to do more than sit on the toilet once. Now we are back to diapers because it is not worth it to her. I have decided that every couple of weeks I would add to our toys on the wall, we may have quite the collage eventually.


Some more of Tanner. Okay, so he does have big cheeks but really they look even bigger in the pictures.





5 comments:

Sally said...

Madeline still needs motivation, we are still handing out skittles when she goes on the potty -we'll be bringing them with us when we come. I'm sure you've tried everything - but maybe a tiny reward for just sitting on the potty would work. Madeline used to get 1 skittle to sit on the potty and 3-4 for going in the potty. Now we are down to just getting one for going on the potty. She also used to get stickers for going - then she got a toy when the sticker chart was full...Ella will eventually decide she wants to go. Anna Elise was three before she was potty trained. When she did decide she wanted to do it - it took 2 days! So eventually your hard work will pay off. Hang in there and keep trying. Oh one more thought - is Ella jealous? What if she sees Madeline getting skittles for going potty while we are there? Then I offer her a skittle if she goes potty - usually my kids listen to others much better then me! Sorry for the long comment...

Kristen said...

That is so funny that she sits there looking at the princesses! That's a good idea. Good luck with it. I hope it goes well.

TyLeen said...

Good luck with the potty training. One thing that worked with Talen was I bought several match box cars and put them in a bucket. Every time he went to the bathroom he got to pick a car out. That really was the breaking point for him. I tried doing a big prize at the end but it was the every time prize thing that really worked for him. Once he got it for about 2 weeks he didn't get a prize every time.

Good luck.

And I think the chubbier the better!

Kris said...

Your idea for Potty Training sounds like it will work perfectly for Ella. Hang in there, it's such a pain, but it's worth it! I hope she gets so excited that she goes potty and gets all of those toys on that wall!

Sarah said...

Potty training is one of the things I dreaded about parenting, but just hang in there becuase when she finally makes the connection it will be smooth sailing from there on. She is a smarty and will get it soon I bet.