You read the title right, Ella got glasses. About a month ago I noticed that Ella's right eye would shift inward when she was trying to focus on something. I knew that something wasn't right. She had a check up with her pediatrician coming up so I waited till then. He told me to take her to an eye doctor. So I did. To be honest, I just thought she had a lazy eye and that she would wear a patch for a while. I was wrong. She is extremely far sided. Her right eye is 200/20. I was shocked and not too thrilled. He told me she would need glasses and that they were the lenses that magnify their eyes a bit. I was definitely not thrilled about that. My beautiful little girl has to wear those glasses.
I was a little upset after we left. I felt bad for Ella and I felt guilty. The girl is only 4 years old and she has to wear glasses. The guilt definitely crept in, I started to think back on times that I had gotten frustrated with Ella when she wasn't learning or getting things as quickly as I thought she should have. I have thought Ella is just a bit lazy and not interested in learning. My perspective of her has totally changed. I now think my sweet girl is pretty amazing (I have always thought she was amazing but even more now). I'm amazed that she can write her name, color in the lines, and draw.
Oh and on top of wearing glasses, she also has to wear a patch for 1 hour a day on her left eye. Its help strengthen her weak eye. While wearing her patch we do activities that help strengthen that eye. We also do other activities without the patch to help her hand eye coordination.
I have been worried about her adjusting to keeping these glasses on. Its only been about a day but she has done awesome so far. Her preschool teacher said she kept them on the whole time, I was really impressed. So hopefully she gets used to them quickly and she won't even think about them.
Hopefully I adjust to them quickly, I have definitely had a harder time then she has. It turns out that she looks adorable in her glasses.
Since she has to wear a patch everyday, I found a tutorial on how to make a cute one that also attaches to her glasses.

9 comments:
I've been stalking your blog for days checking for these pictures. She looks so cute! She doesn't look like one of 'those' girls with 'those' glasses - she looks great! It will be fun for both of you to figure out what she has been missing. I distinctly remember getting my glasses and not realizing all the things that I was suppose to be able to see! I'm sure you will both adjust - don't feel guilty you've helped her learn all those things she can do!
Betsy she looks so cute! I love them.
So so so cute Betsy! Miss you guys tons!
Love love love the glasses!
Ella looks darling in her glasses. The only thing I don't like about them is that it makes her look a little older. She is growing up too fast. I'm glad that she is liking them.
I think the glasses look so cute on her! And I love the eye patch! You are such a great mom, Betsy! Don't feel guilty for even a moment.
Love the patch! So cute!
I am with Sally, I remember seeing things for the first time after I got glasses. Think of the gift you have given her.
I think she looks ADORABLE!
You're right Betsy, she does sound like an amazing little girl! She looks adorable in her glasses. And I think that is a good idea to make a princess patch.
Post a Comment